Web site that emits a continuous stream of plain text?
Costello, Roger L.
2014-08-30 08:38:40 UTC
Hi Folks,

Recall that the Wordpress web site emits a continuous stream of XML:

http://xmpp.wordpress.com:8008/firehose.xml?type=text/plain

The new XSLT streaming capability is able to stream-process the data emitted by that web site.

Very cool.

Also, the new XSLT streaming capability is able to stream-process non-XML-formatted text. That is, XSLT streaming can process plain text.

So, I am seeking some web sites that emit a continuous stream of text. Do you know of any?

/Roger

G. Ken Holman
2014-08-30 14:52:43 UTC
At 2014-08-30 08:38 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>Recall that the Wordpress web site emits a continuous stream of XML:
>
>http://xmpp.wordpress.com:8008/firehose.xml?type=text/plain
>
>The new XSLT streaming capability is able to stream-process the data
>emitted by that web site.
>
>Very cool.
>
>Also, the new XSLT streaming capability is able to stream-process
>non-XML-formatted text. That is, XSLT streaming can process plain text.
>
>So, I am seeking some web sites that emit a continuous stream of
>text. Do you know of any?

For testing purposes could you not just treat the stream of XML as if
it were plain text?

. . . . . . Ken

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
G. Ken Holman mailto:***@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile: http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |
Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |

---

John Cowan
2014-08-30 17:14:02 UTC
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Costello, Roger L. <***@mitre.org>
wrote:

So, I am seeking some web sites that emit a continuous stream of text. Do
> you know of any?

Port scanning your local network (warning: don't do this without
permission!) may find boxes that respond to TCP connections on port 19 with
an endless stream of characters. Possible targets include older routers
and printers, which often implement obsolete guidelines.

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures